Diverse Voices in Prevention’s 12th Annual Cultural Competency Conference “Prevention, Intervention, &
For Parents, Educators, Prevention and other Health Providers Serving Diverse Populations in Pima County
(*In·ter·sec·tion·al·i·ty \ In(t)ərsekSHə’nalədē \ The overlap of various social identities, such as race, gender, sexuality, and class, that can contribute to the specific type of systemic oppression and discrimination experienced by an individual.)
Why Cultural Competency Is Critical:
Language and culture should not be barriers to access and availability of important health and prevention services. Parents, Educators and Prevention Providers need a better understanding of how to work with diverse populations to improve youth substance misuse prevention efforts, client care and eliminate racial and ethnic care disparities.
- Cultural Competency Conference Goals:
- Provide current information on trends related to harms and consequences of youth substance misuse and support providers working with diverse populations in leveraging skills and resources for effective practice.
- Increase knowledge on culturally competent prevention and intervention programs, policies and practices for working in diverse populations, and understanding of how intersectionality impacts risk-taking behaviors (including underage drinking, opioid and other substance misuse).
We have now confirmed a very exciting lineup including:
- Blessing by Austin G. Nunez (Chairman of the San Xavier District of the Tohono O’odham Nation)
- MC Hector Youtsey (Pascua Yaqui Tribe KPYT-LPFM Radio
- Keynotes by Maximillian Boykin (Black AIDS Institute) and Dr. Beth Meyerson (Indiana University School of Public Health)
- Liane Hernandez (YWCA) and Jesus Chucho Ruiz Vaisevoi (Chicanos Por La Causa)
- Youth panel from Pueblo High School’s IAMME (LGBTQ) club lead by their teacher/mentor Imelda G. Cortez (TUSD) and Tucker Grace (Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation)
- Special presentations also by Andrés Cano (State House of Representatives) and Regina Romero (Tucson City Council)
Registration is here: http://dvip.pimacpc.org/ The workshop will be from 8:30am to 4:00pm.